The Engine Swap That Wasn’t

For those who’ve been following along, I’ve had my fair share of problems in the past month or so with the engine. I’ve put together a writeup, with more details and some images.

Part One

I know you’re probably wondering why I’m calling it Part One. Well, the story is not over. As well as that engine runs, I do not trust it, and I still feel the car should have another 50+ horsepower. Another engine will reside in the car before I am satisfied…

In other news, there’s a new Legacy-oriented forum over at 4AG Toys. It’s growing pretty fast, and if you can’t get your fix at any of the other boards, I’d definitely recommend checking it out. Subaru Legacy Forums

Finally, I picked up the issue of SubieSport Magazine with my car in the Reader Rides section. I’d considered submitting my wagon to Sport Compact Car several years ago, but never got around to it. I’m even more pleased that my sedan was able to be included. Also check out Phil’s 94 Sport Sedan on the same page. It’s one of the better modified examples of a first-generation Turbo Legacy out there. I’m still waiting on permission for reproduction of the page for the site, but I’d also recommend heading to your local bookstore or Barnes & Noble to pick up the issue on the stands, it’s definitely a great magazine. Many thanks to Ryan at SubieSport for letting me scan and post the article.

SubieSport Scan

Early Indicators

Are good. I took it for a spin after getting to the shop. The lifters are going to be noisier, something I really hadn’t thought about much, but was somewhat aware of. Because the cams have a different profile, the lobes are actually striking the lifters with more force, instead of simply pushing them. The clutch engages pretty low to the floor, and the engagement point is much smaller than it was before. It’s something i’m simply going to get used to. The flywheel feels nice, not quite as free revving as it was on the wagon, but a definite improvement.

As for power and responsiveness, I’m holding off judgement for another day or two, but I like it a lot so far. At freeway speeds, the car pulls very nicely.

So far, so good.

Nearly Fixed

It turns out that the dealership was having a bad week or something. Charlie ended up taking both heads off, and after noticing that the timing was off, he had the heads checked for warpage. It turns out that both sides were warped 8 thousands of an inch. That doesn’t sound like much, and it isn’t, but the tolerance is 2-3 thousands. The head gasket it also in that same 2-3 thousands range, making any greater warpage a serious sealing problem.

He’s replacing the rear main seal and should be installing the clutch and flywheel with one of the expensive, but effective TranQuil throw-out bearings and sleeve. Cams are in, and everything just needs to be bolted back on and plugged in.

I’m hoping to get it back tommorow afternoon at some time. I can’t wait to drive it.